Ever wondered why cats don’t seem to like drinking from water bowls? You discover that your cat runs to the sink each time she hears you turn on the faucet. This is because most cats prefer running water to still water. Therefore a cat owner must think about getting the best cat water fountain to keep the cat hydrated.
|Why do cats prefer running water?|
Why do cats prefer running water?
There are several reasons why your cat will prefer running water to still water in a bowl, thereby making it necessary to get a water fountain for them. Some of them are highlighted below:
- Though our cat may have lived in our home as friends and companion but that doesn’t erase the fact they are still animal and are governed by instinct. Cats have this instinct telling them stagnant water is not safe for drinking. No matter how you clean the bowl of her water, she doesn’t realise the value and will always want to follow her instinct to prefer running water to stagnant water in the bowl.
- Wild animals prefers cool fresh water, therefore your cat will always prefer running water to stagnant water because of this. Running water is more aerated and fresh than stagnant water. Therefore your cat will always prefer running water due to its freshness.
- Cats also will prefer running water to stagnant because the can easily detect it with their sense of hearing. It’s easier for them to located running water using sound than to find them with their sight
- Cats don’t like to stick their face down the water bowl too far which may get her face wet. So the rather prefer a running water in which they can access without sticking their face too far into the bowl.
Why you should get cat water fountain
- The water dispenser has filter that it uses to filter the water and re-circulate the water leaving the water fresher and safer to consume than stagnant water in a bowl.
- Regular intake of water avoids dehydration. Since cats love running water more, water fountain will encourage more drinking keeping your little pet hydrated always
- Water from fountain tends to be fresher. With cat’s high smelling sense, they can easily notice fresh water from the fountain.
- With cat fountain, you don’t have to worry about filling the cat’s bowl every day
Who needs cat water fountain?
I believe there is no definite answer to this. Therefore I can conveniently say anyone that owns a cat will definitely need cat water fountain to keep their cat healthy. For people that are not always at home, cat water fountain can be a great buy as their little furry does get fresh water to drink anytime she deems fit.
What to consider when purchasing cat water fountain.
In finding the best cat water fountain, there are some factors you need to consider to make it a good buy. With my experience and some researches made, I have been able to come out with some factors you need to consider before going ahead to purchasing water fountain for your cat.
- Type of the bowl: Cats are very picky when it comes to type of bowl they drink from. We have various types of bowl ranging from stainless, plastic and ceramics. Therefore, knowing what your cat prefer will greatly help you in making this selection as there is no need buying what your cat wont drink from. So I advice you get that clear before going ahead with your purchase
- Size of the Bowl: Generally, cats love big bowls. This is because they don’t like their sensitive whisker touching the side of the bowl
- Capacity of the fountain: This is very important to consider for those that has more than one cats. The number of cat you have should also give you the idea of the capacity you should go for.
Best cat water fountain: Top 10
Our top 10 best cat water fountain are choose base on positive customers review, reliability and durability. We have taken the burden of having to search away from you and we assure you that whatever you decide to buy among will definitely be a great buy for the money spent.
|Products||Amazon Review||Capacity||Type of filter|
|4.2/5 star||168 ounce||Activated Carbon|
|4.2/5 star||70 ounce||Charcoal|
|4.9/5 star||96 ounce||Activated Carbon|
|4.1/5 star||100 ounce||Activated Carbon|
|4.1/5 star||128 ounce||Activated Carbon|
|4.2/5 star||70 ounce||Polymer/activated carbon|
|3.9/5 star||70 ounce||Activated Carbon|
|3.8/5 star||128 ounce||Charcoal|
|3.8/5 star||96 ounce||Charcoal|
#1. PetSafe Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain
This is definitely one on the top rated fountain due to its durability, longevity and minimal noise.
- Submersible pump for safe and quiet operation.
- Free falling liquid stream adds oxygen for freshness
- Pre-filter catches hair and other large particles before reaching the pump to prolong pump life span
- Replaceable activated carbon to filter and remove bad tastes and odors.
- Large water holding capacity of 168 oz
- Adjustable flow control to change flow and circulation of water
- Has receiving ramp to reduce splash and sound falling of water
- Can be easily disassemble for easy washing
- Made of rubber feet on bottom to prevent movement of fountain when dispensing water
- Low voltage system (12V) with inline-plug connection for safe operation.
- Suitable for pets of all size.
- Easy user manual.
- Makes humming sound when the level of water in it is below recommended level
#2. PetSafe Drinkwell Ceramic Avalon Fountain for Pets
- Perfect for small and medium cat, holds 70 oz of water.
- Passes water through two filtration system
- Uses activated carbon to remove bad taste and odor
- Its dual free-falling streams add oxygen and freshness and encourage pets to drink more
- Functions using 12-V system with pump that is submersible for silent pump operation
- Can be easily assembled and dissembled.
- Ideal for multiple cats.
#3. isYoung Pet Fountain Automatic Water Dispenser
- Free falling stream to add more oxygen for freshness, encourage cats to drink more.
- Replaceable activated carbon to remove bad taste and odour
- Constant circulation inhibits bacteria growth
- Power cord of 6 ft long with inline connection for easy disassembly
- Has an amazing 4.9/5 star on amazon showing customers satisfaction
- Easy to dissemble and assemble for easy cleaning
- Very durable and reliable
- Adjustable flow control to increase or decrease flow
#4. Petmate Replenish Gravity waterer w/Microban
This comes in various capacity to serve base on needs of the owner ranging from 0.5 gallon to 4 gallon capacity. Makes use of gravity in dispensing its water, Petmate Replenish Gravity is sure a good buy fit its price.
- Comes along with replaceable charcoal filter
- The base is Microban that prevents bacteria
- The base is dishwasher-safe
- Uses gravity to dispense water through charcoal filter that eliminates harmful pathogens and gives the cat constant supply of cool, fresh water.
#5 Drinkwell Multi-Tier pet fountain
This product provides 100 oz of fresh, filtered water. It Is constructed in a way to make it suitable for multiple cats.
- Submersible pump for safe and quiet operation
- Replaceable activated carbon filter filter removes bad tastes and odors for better-tasting water
- 100 oz water capacity
- The top of the bowl is raised which makes it perfect for older cats
- Great for multiple cats
#6 Drinkwell 360 Fountain for Pets
When you are thinking about fountain ideal for multiple cats, this is what should come to your mind as it can conveniently serve more than one cat easily due to its unique way of construction. 360 fountain gives your multi-pet household plenty of water to stay hydrated therefore, you would not have to think about getting more than one fountain for your cats.
- Interchangeable spout rings create up to 5 individual streams, perfect for multiple cats
- Replaceable activated carbon to remove bad tastes and odors
- BPA-Free circular bowl holds 1 gallon of water, providing plenty of water for the cats
- Has a receiving ramp that reduces splash and sound of falling water
- Works on a low voltage system of 12V
#7. Cat Mate pet fountain
This unit can be used by small, medium and large cat. It is also suitable for dogs due to its mode of construction. It is structured to multi-height in which the smaller cat can reach the lower level of the bowl and bigger ones can reach the higher height conveniently.
- Suitable for multiple cats
- It can cater for any size of cat
- The filter is polymer-carbon for water purification
- Its ramp reduces water splashing
- Large 200 Fluid Oz capacity
- Safe low voltage power supply
#8. PetSafe Drinkwell Ceramic Pagoda Fountain for Pets
Made of ceramics, the fountain is perfect for cats that are allergic to plastic.. It is quiet, easy to clean and has large capacity to hold water with charcoal filter.
- Perfect for cats with plastic allergies
- Ideal for multiple cats
- Large water holding capacity
- Has two filtration system for removing contaminants
- The fountain is always moving inhibiting the growth of bacteria, increases freshness of the water and encourage your cat to drink more
- Top rack dishwasher safe
#9. PetSafe Drinkwell Stainless Steel Zen water Fountain
This features an amazing large water holding capacity of 128 oz great for all size and multiple pets. Made of stainless steel, it will be a good buy for cats that love drinking water in such material. Stainless steel is bacterial resistant and more hygienic.
- It is very suitable for cats of different sizes
- Has large holding capacity
- Made of stainless steel which tends to be more healthy for your cat due to its bacteria resistant property
- Features extra wide, free falling stream that makes oxygen circulate into the water making it more appealing to drinking.
#10. Pioneer Pet Big Max Stainless Steel Fountain
This is one of the most quiet water fountains I have come across. Designed in a way in which the cat can drink safely from both tiers. Made of stainless steel which is bacterial resistance and it is a good buy for cats that are allergic to plastic. Has a large holding capacity of 128 oz of water to provide fresh water available at all time for your pet.
- Large water holding capacity
- Suits both dogs or multiple cats
- 100% dishwasher safe
- Made of stainless steel that is bacteria resistant
- Uses low voltage UL listed power system
- A long power cord of 6’
- Replaceable charcoal filter for removing impurities in the water
I have taken our time to guide you choosing the best fountain for your cat, but the decision is still yours and yours alone to make. You are advised to study your cats very well before deciding on which to buy among all these. I am sure you want the best for your cat, therefore studying them and knowing what they would love to drink from wouldn’t be a bad idea as some prefers stainless steel to plastic. One thing I assure you of is that whatever you have decided to choose among our top 10 will definitely be a good buy for you.