There arises a need at every point in time to get our cat’s comfortable living in our home. Providing them with best cat scratching post is one of the ways to do that. Scratching is an instinctual habit which is a general characteristics of every cats, meaning; every cat scratches. They derive pleasure in doing this. Scratching post is an immovable item used by cats for the removal of their dead outer shell from their claws leading to the exposure of fresh new ones. There are many reasons to get the best scratching post for your cats. As earlier mentioned, cats scratches to remove old sheaths from their claws, other reasons is that; it serves as a means of exercise, as they are able to stretch their muscles and relax. As good as it is for humans to exercise, so it is for your cats.
Best cat scratching post relieves cat owners the pain of seeing their furniture being tampered with by their cats. Your cat desires to always scratch due to their natural urge. If denied of best scratching posts, she resorts to using your couch. This can be prevented by getting her suitable scratching post. Why not save yourself the stress of having to change your couch always? Why not prevent damages to your furniture and carpet? Get her the best scratching post and see your feline friend happy always as she does her thing.
Why You Need Best Scratching Post
What are the benefits in getting the best scratching post? This is a question every cat owner may ask. Here are the reasons why best scratching posts are needed;
#1 Cat’s Claw Health
Your cat scratches to remove old nail sheaths from her claws as well as sharpen her nails. This is undoubtedly a key part to her health. Providing her with what she can use with ease in doing this, is a way of promoting her health. As a cat owner, you will do your feline a lot of good, if you supply her with the best scratching post.
#2 Cat’s Defense
One of the grooming processes of cats is nail sharpening. Your cat’s main defense is his/her claws. If scratching is a means of sharpening her claws, then she needs the best scratching post. She sharpens her claws for her defense against enemies; giving her a proper product to sharpen her nails is a good part on your side. It is also a form of protection to your cat; her only defense is her sharp claws.
#3 Furniture’s Safety
When your cat is denied of best scratching post, she uses other means available, scratches on any furniture at sight. Getting the best scratching post turns her attention away from your furniture. Better the scratch post than your furniture. You can lure your cat(s) away from your furniture by putting catnip at the top of the scratching post you get till she gets familiar with it.
#4 Serves as Exercise
This is essential for the well being of all cats of all ages. Cats need to stretch their muscles to put it in proper shape. Providing best scratching post is one of the ways to give your cats proper care. She is able to scratch and at the same time stretches her whole body on it. As exercise is a way to live heartily to humans, so is it to your pets.
#5 For Common Ground
This has to do with when you have multiple cats. They tend to meet at the scratching post out of their mutual interest. Where you place your cats scratching post turn out to be the meeting point for all your cats. They convene to scratch which in turn bring them together. Getting the best scratching post is a great way to bring all your cats together. It marks their territory.
How to Choose the Best Scratching Post
What are the things to consider in choosing the best scratching post?
Before you get any scratching post you need to know about things to look out for. Get informed to guide you in choosing the best. Below are three essential qualities the best scratching post should have.
#1 Size of the Cat
Choose the size of the post according to the size of your cat(s). Cats love to scratch at full stretch. They love to put their whole body on the post, with this reason make sure the size is tall enough for your cats. If you are buying for your kitten, you can have a short post and change as your cat grows.
#2 Post Rigidity
Look out for the rigidity of the post. There is nothing worse than an unstable post which falls each time your cat climbs and scratches on it. The best scratching post should be stable to ensure it doesn’t fall over when your cat lean her full weight on it. Cats can be injured by an unstable post. A thick and heavy bases are preferable to prevent falling over which can cause injury or death to your cats. No cat owners want to go through the pain of seeing their cats injured or killed, this should be what you must look out for to prevent it.
Check out for the best and appealing texture. When I say appealing, I am not referring to a soft texture. In fact, a best scratching post needs to have a rough texture which allows your cat to rake her nails across the surface. When it comes to texture, it must be rough and not soft. Cats find it appealing to scratch on rough texture than smooth and soft surfaces. In getting the best scratching post, rough texture is required.
Best Scratching Post for Your Cats: Top 5
I have taken my time to search for the very best products you won’t regret getting for your felines. This will give you the best without having to search too much for the best post. They are chosen based on mode of construction, its sturdiness and positive customers’ review. They are highly recommended for your cats.
- Smartcat Ultimate Scratching Post
- Petfusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
- Petfusion 3-Sided Vertical Cat Scratcher And Post
- Trixie Pet Products Parla Scratching Post
- Max And Marlow Tall Scratch Post
Smartcat Ultimate Scratching Post
This is covered in a fibrous woven sisal, 32 inches in height. The base is 16 x 16 inches.
- The 32 inches allow your cat(s) to fully stretch her whole weight vertically.
- It has a sturdy base; this prevents tipping over and wobbling.
- Due to its durable sisal covering, your cat finds it superior to carpet and scratching becomes fun for her.
- Perfect for your feline in removing nail sheaths and proper nail sharpening.
- It is made with finest materials and better workmanship, this makes it remain attractive and last longer.
Petfusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
It has a stylish form of furniture, curved with large surfaces. It is made from corrugated cardboard.
- Simply because of its stylish form, cats find it attractive which enables them to play around it.
- It has a large surface which can accommodate more than one cats.
- Catnit are always included to lure cats to the post.
- It doubles as a lounge for cats due to its curved surface.
- Large enough for several cats to rest on, many times, cats sleep on its surfaces.
Petfusion 3-Sided Vertical Cat Scratcher And Post
Made of recycled cardboard and non toxic compound. Glued together piece by piece. Curve in shape.
- Cats love it due to its attractive design. This makes it mostly preferred by many cats.
- It serves as a stress reliever for your cats.
- It provides numerous stretching and scratchimg angles due to its curves which naturally
- attracts cats.
- It is made with cardboard and many cats prefer the feel of cardboard.
Trixie Pet Products Parla Scratching Post
This is 24-25 inches in height, with 16 by 16 in dimension. It is wrapped in natural sisal with a sturdy base.
- Due to its height, it enables your cats have a full stretch while scratching.
- Having a sturdy base prevents falling over which can injure cats.
- It is suitable for cats of all ages.
- It provides opportunity for cats to play and scratch at the same time.
Max and Marlow Tall Scratch Post
This is covered in a natural fabric with sisal rope wrapped around the middle . It is 26-30 inches in height.
- Due to its fibrous texture, it helps condition your cat’s nails.
- Due to its great length of size, your cat will be able to have full stretch on it.
- It provides your cat a satisfying surface to scratch on.
- With sisal rope wrapped around the middle, cats find it exciting to jump on it.